VivMedia has a long convoluted history and I am slowly but surely firming it up. It originally started out as my first Wordpress blog that was hosted under james.fakescience.com. It was going to be my personal blog that tied back into the Fake Science podcast (this was before we launched the music store or FS blog).
The first layout was a theme that started out as the Kubrick layout and I then hacked it to hell using my uber-l337 PHP skillz (it was my 2nd PHP project ever, so they were non-existant). I had never really worked with Wordpress nor had I used much PHP so it was a thrilling piece of shit that amazed even me that it worked. During the design time I came up with the Vivisecting Media name (thanks to Nevada) and I so bought the domain www.vivisectingmedia.com.
I still kept the blog hosted at james.fakescience.com (since I spent all this time getting it working) and set up a mirror for vivmedia to point to the link. I finally got around to updating the dashboard to link eveything to vivmedia but in essence it was just a stupid mirror and really, really annoyed me (but too lazy to change).
After blogging for a while, we (Fake Science founders) decided to launch Dicta and start using that as our industry mouthpiece. Sadly, VivMedia became an abandon blog like so many others have and started collecting cobwebs.
Eventually we closed down FS and I felt it was time to dust off VivMedia and breathe some new life into it. I was now a consultant and one of my goals was to start blogging about the technologies that I put a lot of time and energy into.
As time tromped on Wordpress kept updating and rolling out new features. One of the features I was looking into were Widgets, but because I had a frankenstein theme that was designed for Wordpress 1.2 it didn’t really support them. I was also getting frustrated that my CSS failed on IE (all text centered) and I had no time or patience to try and re-hack the theme.
Finally, with the launch of Wordpress 2.5 I felt it was about damn time to move off of my crappy theme and put the blog on a proper domain. So today is the day and I rolled out my new theme and hosted domain. I assume things are broken (such as Disqus comments not following to the new domain) and the feed is not exactly right. But its there… and hopefully over the next week or so all the bugs will be shaken off. I hope you like the new look and the new site, because I really do!
Update: Disqus does it right, again! Their support got to me right away and fixed the commenting issue for me. After running my own startup and handling customer support I know how much a pain this can be. Thanks Jason!!